A 10 minute reflection that changed the trajectory of my life
The hardest part of this exercise is being honest with yourself. But if you can do that, even 10 minutes may substantially change your life in the long run. I know because it has changed mine.
I had the good fortune of working with a coach during my last semester at Ross. Kathy introduced me to this very simple exercise:
- Get a piece of paper and pencil
- Draw a line down the middle
- Label one side, “How I define success”
- Label the other side, “How society defines success”
- Fill out the page as honestly as you can
The difficult and unwritten 6th step of this exercise is choosing which side of the page to live by - and actually sticking with it.
But you can’t choose a side unless you know what the difference between them is. Showing me that there was a difference was how this exercise changed my life in a big way.